HIKE | Salto do Prego & Sanguinho
Located in the municipality of Povoação, in the south-eastern part of the island of São Miguel, lies the parish of Faial da Terra, hosting one of the most picturesque Azorean villages surrounded by exuberant nature and a lot of peace and tranquillity. Here we will walk back in time, as we pass through the remote ancestral village of Sanguinho, pass beautiful orchards, follow forest trails and be led by the sound of trickling streams to the magnificent waterfall of Salto do Prego.
- Explore this quaint area with our friendly nature guide.
- Enjoy breathtaking panoramic views.
- Suitable for almost all ages, families and friends;
- It is recommended that you are in good physical shape as this tour includes, at times; walking on unstable terrain, muddy slopes, and steep and sometimes slippery uphill and downhill paths.
NOTE: All our Hiking Tours are considered to be Full Day tours which include; Pick-up and Drop-off from / to your place of accommodation, Break time to enjoy a picnic lunch (provided), a couple of hours of hiking and time to swim and relax at the end of the tour.
- with pick up
Price Per Person
€60 with pick up
Price Per Person
GROUPS ( 9 People OR + )
CHILDREN (8-12 YEARS OLD)
Min. 2 PAX
8 yrs Minimum
SALTO DO PREGO & SANGUINHO:
|2.5 hours||Medium||4.5 km||Circular|
NOTE: This tour is available in the months of November to May. Please contact us for other availabilities.
In this tour, which begins in the parish of Faial da Terra, we will walk along a beautiful river that will guide us through this charming village with its sensational orchards. We will continue our hike up through the forest, passing over wooden bridges and following our ancestors’ footsteps over cobblestone roads, until we reach the magical waterfall of Salto do Prego – where we will take a break to rest, enjoy our picnic lunch and take a refreshing swim under the waterfall.
On the way back, we will pass through the old abandoned village of Sanguinho, which has been gradually recovering its charm and liveliness.
Then, we will make a brief stop at the formidable viewpoint of Pico dos Bodes, after which we invite you to: enjoy a refreshing dive in Povoação / Ribeira Quente, OR take a cozy bath in the Thermal Springs of Furnas (at an extra cost) OR enjoy the rest of the time to wander.
NOTE: The trail can be quite steep and slippery in some areas.
- The Pick-up time is, usually, around 09:00 AM at, or close to, your place of accommodation. Consider this for the areas of Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura, Lagoa and Ribeira Grande (for others, please contact us).
- When the activity is over, we will Drop you off at your place of accommodation again.
- We will contact you in case we need to settle a different Pick-up time / place.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes: we recommend carrying a light waterproof jacket and wearing hiking boots or walking shoes.
- Individual water bottle.
- Small backpack: to carry your belongings and the lunch we provide.
- Bathing suit and a Beach towel: we recommend bringing a plastic bag for carrying your wet belongings after swimming.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and a hat.
- Medication: Any personal medication that you may need for the duration of the tour (eg: inhaler for asthma, sugar packets for diabetics, anti-inflammatory gel etc.)
- Knee/ankle Support : For anyone who suffers from certain area joint problems, we recommend wearing an elastic support for better stability and to prevent any further injury.
- Accredited guides;
- Picnic Lunch and snacks;
- Pick-up and Drop-off from / to your place of accommodation;
- Trekking poles.
- This activity is not recommended for persons with back problems and severe joint issues. Please let us know of any previous injuries, medical conditions or health problems when booking.
- Children are under the responsibility of an adult.
You should contact us if you:
Would like to include a visit to the Thermal Baths in Furnas. Please note that the entrance fee is not included in the tour price.
Plan to book an excursion for a group with more than 8 people;
Are interested in trying different activities / places, besides the ones we already offer, we can provide other options;
Can’t find the ideal booking option or date to fit your plans, we will try to make it possible.
Our Cancellation Policy is described in our Terms and Conditions. It’s important to read them before making any decisions.