HIKE | Ribeira Funda & Tea Plantation
This tour will provide you with an incredible experience along the north coast of the island of São Miguel, beginning in the Ribeira Funda area and passing through several ruins of old mills, the emblematic Praia da Viola beach, stupendous staircases and several informative and photographic plates about the people and old customs of the region, until ending in the friendly parish of Maia, more specifically in the Fishing Port of Praia do Calhau D’Areia beach, whose crystal waters you will have the opportunity to try. Join us on this journey through the 80’s with lots of fun and adventure, as well as unforgettable landscapes along the way!
- Take a closer look at typical Azorean rural villages.
- Explore valleys hosting old watermills, waterfalls and streams.
- Enjoy breathtaking panoramic views along a coastline trail.
- Take a refreshing swim and snorkel in the ocean.
- Pay a visit to a local Tea Plantation.
- Suitable for almost all ages, families and friends;
- It is recommended that you are in good physical shape as this tour includes, at times; walking on unstable terrain, muddy slopes, and steep and sometimes slippery uphill and downhill paths.
NOTE: This Hiking Tour is considered to be a Full Day tour which includes; Pick-up and Drop-off from / to your place of accommodation, Break time to enjoy a picnic lunch (provided), a couple of hours of hiking and time to swim and snorkel (provided) and/or relax at the end of the tour.
- with pick up
Price Per Person
€60 with pick up
Price Per Person
GROUPS ( 9 People OR + )
CHILDREN (8-12 years old)
Min. 2 PAX
8 yrs Minimum
RIBEIRA FUNDA – MAIA:
|Full Day (Dia Inteiro)|
|4 hours||Medium||6,5 km||Linear|
The trail will start at Ribeira Funda (belonging to the parish of Fenais da Ajuda), where you will be constantly in direct contact with incredible coastal landscapes and the typical nature and vegetation of the island of São Miguel.
This specific tour is full of history and memories transcribed in photographic and informational panels that remind us of our ancestors and their customs, as well as multiple ruins of ancient watermills and small but impressive waterfalls.
On the way, we will cross the remote Praia da Viola beach, which wiill easily restore your energy levels even if you just stop for a while to rest and enjoy the soothing sounds that surround you.
From here, we will continue our trail along coastal cliffs towards the end of this adventure at the Fishing Port of Calhau D’Areia beach, in the serene and peaceful parish of Maia. Here we will enjoy our picnic style lunch and take a dip in the ocean and snorkel, if the weather and sea conditions permit. We will end the day by paying a visit to Gorreana Tea Factory.
NOTE: The trail can be quite steep and slippery in some areas.
- The Pick-up time is, usually, around 09:00 AM at, or close to, your place of accommodation. Consider this for the areas of Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura, Lagoa and Ribeira Grande (for others, please contact us).
- When the activity is over, we will Drop you off at your place of accommodation again.
- We will contact you in case we need to settle a different Pick-up time or place.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes: we recommend carrying a light waterproof jacket and wearing hiking boots or walking shoes.
- Individual water bottle.
- Small backpack: to carry your personal belongings and the lunch we provide.
- Bathing suit and a Beach towel: we recommend bringing a plastic bag for carrying your wet belongings after swimming.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and a hat.
- Medication: Any personal medication that you may need for the duration of the tour (eg: inhaler for asthma, sugar packets for diabetics, anti-inflammatory gel etc.)
- Knee/ankle Support : For anyone who suffers from certain area joint problems, we recommend wearing an elastic support for better stability and to prevent any further injury.
- Accredited guides.
- Picnic Lunch.
- Pick-up and Drop-off from / to your place of accommodation.
- Trekking poles.
- Snorkeling Masks.
- This activity is not recommended for persons with severe problems with their back, knees or ankles. Please let us know of any previous injuries, medical conditions or health problems when booking.
- Children are under the responsibility of an adult.
You should contact us if you:
- Plan to book an excursion for a group with more than 8 people.
- Are interested in trying different activities or locations, besides the ones we already offer ;we can provide other options.
- Can’t find the ideal booking option or date to fit your plans, we can try to make it possible.
Our Cancellation Policy is described in our Terms and Conditions. It’s important to read them before making any decisions.