Hike Waterfall Trail & Visit Tea Plantation & Beach
Discover the hidden gems of the north side of the island of Sao Miguel with us on this diverse tour. Walk along a whimsical trail through the woods and follow streams and rivers dotted with beautiful waterfalls along the way. Take a break with a cup of tea or homemade green tea ice-cream when we a pay a visit to the only tea plantation and factory in Europe and end the day with your feet in the sand on our beautiful northern beaches.
- Suitable for most ages, families and friends.
- Explore valleys hosting old watermills, waterfalls and streams.
- Pay a visit to a local Tea Plantation.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch in fabulous surroundings.
- Relax at one of the distinct volcanic beaches on the northern coast.
NOTE: This Hiking Tour is considered to be a Full Day tour which includes; Pick-up and Drop-off from / to your place of accommodation, Break time to enjoy a picnic lunch (provided), around 2 hours of hiking, 2 hours cultural tour and time to swim and/or relax at the end of the tour.
€60 with pick up
Price Per Person
Min. 2 PAX
8 yrs Minimum
Moinho do Félix Waterfalls Trail:
|Full Day (Dia Inteiro)|
|2 hours||Medium||5,5 km||Circular|
Located in Lomba de São Pedro, the easternmost of the 14 parishes that make up the municipality of Ribeira Grande, we can find the Moinho do Félix Waterfalls Trail.
Setting off on our trail we will be welcomed with wonderful coastal views leading us down to the first waterfall on this route Cascata do Homem.
We will continue our hike following in the footsteps of our forefathers; going uphill through the woods and weaving in and out through the trees until reaching the old watermill Moinho do Félix sitting next to the waterfall Cascata do Teófilo.
Moving on along this ancient trail you will feel the peace and tranquility here, with the sound of the stream to guide us to the last waterfall Cascata da Gruta and its natural pool Poço da Truta.
Following the trail back up to the village we will pass by several fountains which in former times served to supply water to the local population.
Visit Tea Plantation:
We will pay a visit to the Chá Gorreana Tea Factory and Plantation, which is the oldest and currently only tea plantation in Europe. Take a tour through this family run estate and take a closer look at the whole tea manufacturing process; from cultivating to the final product, which you will have the opportunity to taste for yourself.
We will end the day with some relaxing time at one of the beaches on the Northern Coast, whose dark sand is distinct to a volcanic island like São Miguel.
NOTE: We are flexible with the itinerary of the day depending on local conditions and group abilities. It is recommended that you are in good physical shape as this tour includes, at times; walking on unstable terrain, muddy areas and gravelled uphill and downhill slopes.
- The Pick-up time is, usually, around 09:00 AM at, or close to, your place of accommodation. Consider this for the areas of Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura, Lagoa and Ribeira Grande (for others, please contact us).
- When the activity is over, we will Drop you off at your place of accommodation again.
- We will contact you in case we need to settle a different Pick-up time or place.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes: we recommend carrying a light waterproof jacket and wearing hiking boots or walking shoes.
- Individual water bottle.
- Small backpack: to carry your personal belongings and the lunch we provide.
- Bathing suit and a Beach towel: we recommend bringing a plastic bag for carrying your wet belongings after swimming.
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and a hat.
- Medication: Any personal medication that you may need for the duration of the tour (eg: inhaler for asthma, sugar packets for diabetics, anti-inflammatory gel etc.)
- Knee/ankle Support : For anyone who suffers from certain area joint problems, we recommend wearing an elastic support for better stability and to prevent any further injury.
- Accredited guides.
- Picnic Lunch.
- Pick-up and Drop-off from / to your place of accommodation.
- Trekking poles.
- This activity is not recommended for persons with severe problems with their back, knees or ankles. Please let us know of any previous injuries, medical conditions or health problems when booking.
- Children are under the responsibility of an adult.
You should contact us if you:
- Plan to book an excursion for a group with more than 8 people.
- Are interested in trying different activities or locations, besides the ones we already offer ;we can provide other options.
- Can’t find the ideal booking option or date to fit your plans, we can try to make it possible.