HIKING | Lagoa do Fogo
Situated in the heart of Sao Miguel is the youngest of the islands’ volcanoes, the Volcano of Aqua de Pau. Here you will hike through forests and follow streams reaching one of the most beautiful and untouched lakes in Portugal; Lagoa do Fogo aka Lake of Fire. To do this, you must be properly dressed, since the climate in this volcanic region tends to change dramatically throughout the day. Walking in the mountains is totally different from walking at sea level – and we will be doing both! So, get ready for eventual pikes of humidity, sun, wind, downpours and, especially, lots of fun and adventure!
- Explore this protected area with our local nature guide and learn about the local fauna, flora and geology of this spectacular volcano.
- Discover impressive spots with wonderful panoramas;
- Suitable for most ages, families and friends;
- It is recommended that you are in good physical shape as this tour includes, at times; walking on unstable terrain, muddy areas and graveled uphill and downhill slopes.
NOTE: These Hiking Tours are considered to be Full Day tours which include; Pick-up and Drop-off from / to your place of accommodation, Break time to enjoy a picnic lunch (provided), around 4 hours of hiking and time to swim and/or relax at the end of the tour.
- with pick up
Price Per Person
€60 with pick up
Price Per Person
GROUPS ( 9 People OR + )
CHILDREN (8-12 years old)
Medium | Hard
Min. 2 PAX
8 yrs Minimum
This hiking trail starts in the area of Lagos, where the trail will take us up on the Southern flank of Lagoa do Fogo.
|4 Hours||Medium||12 km||Circular|
In the area of “Lagos”, we will start the trail on a dirt road that will get considerably steeper for the first 3km, at which point we will meet an irrigation channel. We will wander along an easy path through the forest, where soon you will find yourself hiking inside the crater, with its massive walls of greenery all around you. Reaching the shores of this famous lake, we will take a break and enjoy our picnic with a view. Setting off once more, we will continue upwards slightly for better views of the lake and then head back down to our starting point through another steep and winding trail, with views of the south coast and the Islet of Vila Franca do Campo along the way.
NOTE: The trail can be quite steep and slippery in some areas.
- The Pick-up time is, usually, around 09:00 AM at, or close to, your place of accommodation. Consider this for the areas of Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura, Lagoa and Ribeira Grande (for others, please contact us).
- When the activity is over, we will Drop you off at your place of accommodation again.
- We will contact you in case we need to settle a different Pick-up time / place.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes; we recommend wearing long trousers, bring a light wind and waterproof jacket, and hiking boots or walking shoes with good grip,
- Individual water bottle,
- Small backpack; to carry your personal belongings and the lunch we provide,
- Bathing suit and a towel,
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and a hat.
- Medication: Any personal medication that you may need for the duration of the tour (eg: inhaler for asthma, sugar packets for diabetics, anti-inflammatory gel etc.)
- Knee/ankle Support : For anyone who suffers from certain joint problems, we recommend wearing an elastic support for better stability and to prevent any further injury.
- Accredited guides;
- Picnic Lunch;
- Pick-up and Drop-off from / to your place of accommodation;
- Trekking poles.
- Snorkeling equipment (mask and snorkel)
- This activity is not recommended for persons with severe problems with their back, knees or ankles. Please let us know of any previous injuries, medical conditions or health problems when booking.
- Children are under the responsibility of an adult.
You should contact us if you:
- Plan to book an excursion for a group with more than 8 people;
- Are interested in trying different activities / places, besides the ones we already offer (we can provide other options);
- Can’t find the ideal booking option or date to fit your plans (we can try to make it possible).