Lagoa do Fogo
On this tour, you will set out to (re)discover the youngest volcano on the island of São Miguel, where you will, surely, meet one of the most beautiful lagoons you have ever seen – Lagoa do Fogo. To do this, you must be properly dressed, since the climate of the Azores tends to change dramatically throughout the day (besides that walking in the mountains is totally different from walking at sea level – and we will do both!). So, get ready for eventual pikes of humidity, heat, wind, downpours and, especially, lots of fun and adventure!
- Discover impressive places, wonderful panoramas and a little of the local fauna, flora and geology;
- Suitable for (almost) all ages, families and friends;
- Possibility of Pick-up (and Drop-off) at your accommodation place;
- Reasonable physical condition required.
NOTE: At your request, we can include geocaching or a treasure hunting game.
- with pick up
Price Per Person
with pick up
Price Per Person
GROUPS ( 9 ELEMENTS OR + )
CHILDREN (6-12 years old)
+ / - 6 | 4 hours
Medium | Hard
Min. 2 PAX Max. 8 PAX
6 yo Minimum
Depending on the local conditions, weather and group abilities, the tour may start in the area of Lagos or at Cumeeira Norte (both places of great beauty!) :
|6 hours||Medium||11 km||Linear|
In the area of Lagos (belonging to the Água D’Alto parish = southern part of São Miguel Island), we will start the trail on a short dirt road (considerably sloping), from where we will reach a small stream (which will accompany us for about 2 km) until we reach another relatively more open area (with several springs and wide declivities) that will finally lead us to Lagoa do Fogo. Then, after our picnic-lunch and a short rest break, it’s time to return to the starting point while enjoying, from another perspective, the majestic views of the south coast and the Atlantic Ocean. Finally, in farewell mode, we invite you to visit the beach of Caloura or Agua D’Alto, where you can practice some snorkeling.
Note: The trail can be quite steep and slippery in some areas.
– Cumeeira Norte:
|4 hours||Difficult||6 km||Circular|
When traveling along Cumeeira Norte, we will have as a background the stunning panorama of Lagoa do Fogo (on one side), and the north coast of the island (on the other). At a certain point, when we start to descend, we will pass through several small streams (surrounded by incredibly green and untouched forests), before reaching the characteristic pumice-stone beach of the lagoon. Here, we can enjoy a pleasant picnic-lunch of regional products, before returning to the starting point again. To end the adventure, our clients will have the opportunity to bathe: in the natural pools of Lagoa / porto da Caloura (with the possibility of practicing some snorkeling), OR in the cozy thermal baths of Caldeira Velha, OR in the grandiose waterfall of Salto do Cabrito.
Note: Bring long hiking pants to protect yourself from possible scratches. This trail can be quite muddy and slippery in some areas.
- The Pick-up time is usually between 08:30 and 09:00 AM at your accommodation. Consider the areas of Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura, Lagoa and Ribeira Grande (for other areas, please contact us).
- When the activity is over, we will leave you in the same place we picked you up.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes (in addition to being light, they should be able to protect you from the wind and rain);
- Personal water bottle;
- Backpack (to transport your belongings and the lunch we provide);
- Bathing suit (if possible already dressed);
- Bath towel;
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and a hat.
- Accredited guides;
- Photos / Videos;
- Picnic Lunch;
- Pick-up and Drop-off;
- Trekking poles.
You should contact us:
- If you plan to book an excursion for a group with more than 8 people;
- If you are interested in trying different activities / places, besides the ones we already offer (we can provide other options);
- If you can’t find the ideal booking option or date to fit your plans (we can try to make it possible).
If you’re interested, you can also buy one of our Aluminium Water Bottles or Tea/Coffee Cups for an extra 5€. This way, you’re helping to preserve the environement, while taking back home a useful and unique souvenir that will remind you everyday of the great time you had in the Azores and with FUN Activities!