CANYONING | Ribeira da Salga
This Canyoning Tour is not for the faint of heart as it takes your through one of our more physically challenging routes, taking you into the depths of nature, in the wildest and greenest part of the island. We will hike through the forest, slide down the river, jump from the tops of wonderous waterfalls and rappel down this deep canyon…Undoubtedly, the most thrilling and adventurous way to experience Azorean nature up close in one of the most beautiful locations on the island.
Have fun and explore one of the islands most impressive landscapes.
Challenge yourself and get out of your comfort zone under the supervision of our experienced and friendly guides.
An amazing experience in both rain or shine.
Suitable for almost all ages and beginners, while still challenging for the more experienced canyoneer;
Possibility of Pick-up and Drop-off from / to your accommodation – if respective option is chosen
Note: It is recommended that you are in good physical shape and do not have a fear of heights, as this tour includes, at times; walking on high unstable terrain, muddy slopes, and small uphill and downhill scrambles. However, you don’t need to know how to swim. The health and safety of our clients is of our utmost priority and so we do not recommend this tour for people weighing more than 120kg.
€125 with pick up
Price Per Person
GROUPS ( 9 People OR + )
Min. 2 PAX
14 yrs Minimum
This excursion takes place in Ribeira da Salga, located in the northeast part of the island of São Miguel, between the parishes of Lomba de São Pedro and Salga (+/- 40 minute drive away from the city of Ponta Delgada). Upon arrival, we will proceed with the distribution of equipment and a quick safety briefing, followed by a 30 minute hike towards the start of the canyon where the fun will begin!
From this tour, you can expect a wild and almost untouched nature, with difficult accesses, some steep paths, and a lot of physical exercise. The highest rappel can reach up to 16 meters, and the highest jump up to 9 meters (if you feel uncomfortable about the jumps, know that there are alternatives).
- The Half Day PLUS tour : You will explore and make your way down this canyon by jumping from high ledges into natural pools, abseil down waterfalls and wade, walk and slide down the river, ending with an uphill climb back to our starting point. We will end our trip with a well deserved picnic style lunch at a local park.
NOTE: The Terrain, landscape and river may change throughout the year due to heavy weather conditions. We are flexible with our route and canyoning techniques depending on river and surrounding conditions and group abilities.
- The Pick-up time is usually between 08:30 and 08:50 AM at, or close to, your place of accommodation. Consider this for the areas of Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura, Lagoa and Ribeira Grande (for others, please contact us).
- When the activity is over, we will drop you off at your place of accommodation again.
- If you don’t require Pick-up, consider the Meeting Point at the parking lot of Junta de Freguesia da Lomba de São Pedro around 09:30 AM (near a small school and a bus stop).
- We will contact you in case we need to settle a different time / place.
- Bathing suit: To be worn from home.
- Hair elastic band : For comfort and safety reasons, we advise people with long hair to tie their hair back.
- Glasses: If you normally wear spectacles, we advise you to attach your glasses to a lanyard to prevent dropping and breaking them or losing them in the river. When abseiling and jumping in the water, we recommend putting your glasses inside your wetsuit for safekeeping. We do not recommend wearing contact lenses as they are easily lost when jumping in the water.
- Medication: Any personal medication that you may need for the duration of the tour (eg: inhaler for asthma, sugar packets for diabetics etc.)
- Knee/ankle Support : For anyone who suffers from certain area joint problems, we recommend wearing an elastic support for better stability and to prevent any further injury.
- Towel and dry clothes to change into after the tour;
- Individual water bottle: We recommend drinking some water before and after the tour
- Accredited guides;
- All Canyoning equipment (fully equipped harness, wetsuits, socks, helmet and boots);
- Photos / Videos;
- Picnic Lunch;
- Pick-up and Drop-off (if respective option is chosen).
- This activity is not recommended for persons with back and/or neck problems. Please let us know of any previous injuries, medical conditions or health problems when booking.
- Children are under the responsibility of an adult.
You should contact us if you:
- Plan to book an excursion for a group with more than 8 people;
- Are interested in trying different activities / places, besides the ones we already offer (we can provide other options);
- Can’t find the ideal booking option or date to fit your plans (we can try to make it possible).
Our Cancellation Policy is described in our Terms and Conditions. It’s important to read them before making any decisions.