CANYONING | Experience
If you’re looking for something new and fun to do, that’s ideal for people of all ages, then this is for you! On our Canyoning Experience tour we will immerse ourselves in nature by taking you to explore magnificent rivers and waterfalls using different canyoning techniques such as jumps, rappels, and water slides. Undoubtedly, the most thrilling and adventurous way to experience Azorean nature up close in one of the most beautiful locations on the island.
Ideal for adventure and adrenaline lovers.
Have fun and explore one of the islands most impressive landscapes.
Challenge yourself and get out of your comfort zone under the supervision of our experienced and friendly guides.
An amazing experience in both rain or shine.
Suitable for almost all ages and beginners, while still challenging for the more experienced canyoneer.
Possibility of Pick-up and Drop-off from / to your accommodation – if respective option is chosen;
Note: It is recommended that you are in good physical shape as this tour includes, at times; walking on unstable terrain, muddy slopes, and small uphill and downhill scrambles. However, you don’t need to know how to swim. The health and safety of our clients is of our highest priority and so we do not recommend this tour for persons exceeding 120kg.
€80 with pick up
Price Per Person
GROUPS ( 9 People OR + )
CHILDREN (6-12 YEARS OLD)
2.5 - 3 Hours
Min. 2 PAX
6 yrs minimum
This excursion takes place in Parque Natural da Ribeira dos Caldeirões, one of the most extraordinary parks in the northeastern part of the island of São Miguel (+/- 45 minute drive away from the city of Ponta Delgada). Upon arrival, we will proceed with the distribution of your personal equipment and then set off on short walk of ~ 15min to our first stop where we will have our first safety briefing. We will then continue on a short scramble uphill where we will then stop for our second safety briefing, where we will show you how to rappel before continuing onwards and upwards for another ~10min to the start of the canyon where the fun will begin!
- The Canyoning Experience : After reaching the top of the canyon you will start your adventure by trying your first decent, abseiling alongside a waterfall of ~5m and jumping into its’ fresh waters. We will then continue our way down the river to an exciting water slide (toboggan), and for those who dare, there will also be the opportunity to jump from the highest spot in this area of ~3m. We will let the river carry us to the next ledge to jump ~2m in height. Wading through the river we will approach our 2nd and final abseil of ~7m where you will end your adventure with a swim in a natural pool. We will walk back along our initial path to the starting point.
Note: Please know, that if you are uncomfortable with any of the jumps, there are other alternatives. The terrain, landscape and river may change throughout the year due to heavy weather conditions. We are flexible with our route and canyoning techniques depending on river conditions and group abilities.
- The Pick-up time is usually between 08:00 – 08:20 in the summer season (April – October) or between 08:30 – 08:50 in the winter season (November – March) at, or close to, your place of accommodation. Consider this for the areas of Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura, Lagoa and Ribeira Grande (for others, please contact us).
- When the activity is over, we will drop you off at the same place again.
- If you don’t require Pick-up, consider the Meeting Point at the parking lot of Parque Natural da Ribeira dos Caldeirões at around 9 AM in summer time and 09:30 in winter time (you’ll see a waterfall across the street).
- We will contact you in case we need to settle a different time or place.
- Bathing suit: To be worn from home.
- Hair elastic band : For comfort and safety reasons, we advise people with long hair to tie their hair back.
- Glasses: If you normally wear spectacles, we advise you to attach your glasses to a lanyard to prevent dropping and breaking them or losing them in the river. When abseiling and jumping in the water, we recommend putting your glasses inside your wetsuit for safekeeping. We do not recommend wearing contact lenses as they are easily lost when jumping in the water.
- Medication: Any personal medication that you may need for the duration of the tour (eg: inhaler for asthma, sugar packets for diabetics etc.)
- Knee/ankle Support : For anyone who suffers from certain area joint problems, we recommend wearing an elastic support for better stability and to prevent any further injury.
- Towel and dry clothes to change into after the tour;
- Individual water bottle: We recommend drinking some water before and after the tour.
- Accredited guides.
- All Canyoning equipment (fully equipped harness, wetsuits, socks, helmet and boots).
- Photos / Videos.
- Pick-up and Drop-off (if respective option is chosen).
- This activity is not recommended for persons with back and/or neck problems. Please let us know of any previous injuries, medical conditions or health problems when booking.
- Children are under the responsibility of an adult.
You should contact us if you:
- Plan to book an excursion for a group with more than 8 people;
- Are interested in trying different activities / places, besides the ones we already offer (we can provide other options);
- Can’t find the ideal booking option or date to fit your plans (we can try to make it possible).