CANYONING | Experience
If you’re looking for something new and fun to do, that’s ideal for people of all ages, then this is for you! On our Canyoning Experience tour we will immerse ourselves in nature by taking you to explore magnificent rivers and waterfalls using different canyoning techniques such as jumps, rappels, and water slides. Undoubtedly, the most thrilling and adventurous way to experience Azorean nature up close in one of the most beautiful locations on the island.
- Ideal for adventure and adrenaline lovers;
- Have fun and explore one of the islands most impressive landscapes.
- Challenge yourself and get out of your comfort zone under the supervision of our experienced and friendly guides
- An amazing experience in both rain or shine.
- Suitable for almost all ages and beginners, while still challenging for the more experienced canyoneer;
- It is recommended that you are in good physical shape as this tour includes, at times; walking on unstable terrain, muddy slopes, and small uphill and downhill scrambles. However, you don’t need to know how to swim.
- Possibility of Pick-up and Drop-off from / to your accommodation – if respective option is chosen;
65€ with pick up
Price Per Person
85€ with pick up
Price Per Person
GROUPS ( 9 People OR + )
CHILDREN (6-12 YEARS OLD)
Min. 2 PAX
6 yrs minimum
5 to 6 Hours
Min. 2 PAX Max. 8 PAX
10 yrs minimum
This excursion takes place in Parque Natural da Ribeira dos Caldeirões, one of the most extraordinary parks in the northeastern part of the island of São Miguel (+/- 45 minute drive away from the city of Ponta Delgada). Upon arrival, we will proceed with the distribution of your personal equipment and then set off on short walk of ~ 15min to our first stop where we will have our first safety briefing. We will then continue on a short scramble uphill where we will then stop for our second safety briefing, where we will show you how to rappel before continuing onwards and upwards for another ~10min to the start of the canyon where the fun will begin!
- The Half Day Tour : After reaching the top of the canyon you will start your adventure by trying your first decent, abseiling alongside a waterfall of ~5m and jumping into its’ fresh waters. We will then continue our way down the river to an exciting water slide (toboggan), followed by our first jump of ~2m in height. Wading through the river we will approach our 2nd abseil of ~7m which ends in a natural pool. We will walk back along our initial path, taking a route through the valley to our 2nd jump where you may jump from either: ~4m high rock or from a lower spot of ~1.5m. We leave the best for last, and will end the tour by jumping from the top of a waterfall of ~6m in height.
Note: Please know, that if you are uncomfortable with any of the jumps, there are other alternatives.
NOTE: We are flexible with our route and canyoning techniques depending on river conditions and group abilities.
- The Full Day Tour : The first half of the tour will follow the same route as our Half Day tour; with various waterfalls under which you will abseil, jumps and waterslides. We will then take a short break to eat some snacks before continuing onwards to the extended part of the route, where you will slide down the river, make your way through a more adrenaline pumping part of the canyon and abseil down 3 more waterfalls as we make our way down the valley, with the highest rappel reaching up to 15m and enjoy more breathtaking views of your wild surroundings. Ending the tour with a short but steep hike back up to our meeting point, we will have a well-deserved picnic style lunch at the park itself.
- The Pick-up time is usually between 08h00 and 08h20 AM at, or close to, your place of accommodation. Consider this for the areas of Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura, Lagoa and Ribeira Grande (for others, please contact us).
- When the activity is over, we will drop you off at the same place again.
- If you don’t require Pick-up, consider the Meeting Point at the parking lot of Parque Natural da Ribeira dos Caldeirões around 09h00 AM (you’ll see a waterfall across the street).
- We will contact you in case we need to settle a different time or place.
- Bathing suit: To be worn from home.
- Hair elastic band : For comfort and safety reasons, we advise people with long hair to tie their hair back.
- Glasses: If you normally wear spectacles, we advise you to attach your glasses to a lanyard to prevent dropping and breaking them or losing them in the river. When abseiling and jumping in the water, we recommend putting your glasses inside your wetsuit for safekeeping. We do not recommend wearing contact lenses as they are easily lost when jumping in the water.
- Medication: Any personal medication that you may need for the duration of the tour (eg: inhaler for asthma, sugar packets for diabetics etc.)
- Knee/ankle Support : For anyone who suffers from certain area joint problems, we recommend wearing an elastic support for better stability and to prevent any further injury.
- Towel and dry clothes to change into after the tour;
- Individual water bottle: We recommend drinking some water before and after the tour.
- Accredited guides;
- All Canyoning equipment (fully equipped harness, wetsuits, socks, helmet and boots);
- Photos / Videos;
- Snacks and Picnic Lunch (only on the Full Day tour);
- Pick-up and Drop-off (if respective option is chosen).
- This activity is not recommended for persons with back and/or neck problems. Please let us know of any previous injuries, medical conditions or health problems when booking.
- Children are under the responsibility of an adult.
You should contact us if you:
- Plan to book an excursion for a group with more than 8 people;
- Are interested in trying different activities / places, besides the ones we already offer (we can provide other options);
- Can’t find the ideal booking option or date to fit your plans (we can try to make it possible).
If you’re interested, you can also buy one of our Aluminium Water Bottles or Tea/Coffee Cups for an extra 5€. In doing so, you will be helping to preserve the environment, while taking back home a useful and unique souvenir that will remind you everyday of the great time you had in the Azores and with FUN Activities!