Canyoning Experience & Furnas HD Tour
The perfect way to spend the day with family or friends, with an adventurous morning and a relaxing afternoon to explore some of the best the island has to offer: beautiful nature, great food, thermal hot-springs, good company and of course a lot of Fun!
Start the day with your adrenaline pumping on a Canyoning Experience tour, where we will immerse ourselves in nature by taking you to explore magnificent rivers and waterfalls using different canyoning techniques such as jumps, rappels, and water slides. Undoubtedly, the most thrilling and adventurous way to experience Azorean nature up close in one of the most beautiful locations on the island.
Spend the afternoon exploring the quaint village of Furnas, having lunch in a local restaurant, visiting the Caldeiras Vulcânicas and visiting the Terra Nostra Botanical Garden and Thermal Baths.
NOTE: It is recommended that you are in good physical shape as this tour includes, at times; walking on unstable terrain, muddy slopes, and small uphill and downhill scrambles. However, you don’t need to know how to swim. The safety of our clients is of our utmost priority and so we do not recommend this activity for persons weighing more than 120kg.
Ideal for adventure and nature lovers.
Have fun and explore one of the islands most impressive landscapes.
Challenge yourself and get out of your comfort zone under the supervision of our experienced and friendly guides.
An amazing experience for youngsters and adults alike.
Suitable for almost all ages and beginners, while still challenging for the more experienced canyoneer.
Traditional lunch of Cozido at a local restaurant.
Visit Botanical Gardens and take a dip in the Thermal baths of Terra Nostra Park.
Pick up and Drop off included.
€145 with pick up
Price Per Person
This tour is available for the months of October to May. For other availabilities, please contact us.
Min. 2 PAX
6 yrs Minimum
This tour is only available for private bookings, please contact us to make a reservation.
This excursion takes place in Parque Natural da Ribeira dos Caldeirões, one of the most extraordinary parks in the northeastern part of the island of São Miguel (+/- 45 minute drive away from the city of Ponta Delgada). Upon arrival, we will proceed with the distribution of your personal equipment and then set off on short walk of ~ 15min to our first stop where we will have our first safety briefing. We will then continue on a short scramble uphill where we will then stop for our second safety briefing, where we will show you how to rappel before continuing onwards and upwards for another ~10min to the start of the canyon where the fun will begin!
The Canyoning Experience: After reaching the top of the canyon you will start your adventure by trying your first decent, abseiling alongside a waterfall of ~5m and jumping into its’ fresh waters. We will then continue our way down the river to an exciting water slide (toboggan), and for those who dare, there will also be the opportunity to jump from the highest spot in this area of ~3m. We will let the river carry us to the next ledge to jump ~2m in height. Wading through the river we will approach our 2nd and final abseil of ~7m where you will end your adventure with a swim in a natural pool. We will walk back along our initial path to the starting point.
NOTE: Please know, that if you are uncomfortable with any of the jumps, there are other alternatives. The terrain, landscape and river may change throughout the year due to heavy weather conditions. We are flexible with our route and canyoning techniques depending on river and surrounding conditions and group abilities.
– FURNAS HD TOUR: For a well-deserved lunch, we will make our way to the quaint village of Furnas where you will tickle your taste buds with a traditional dish of Cozido (which is a slow cooked dish of a mixture of different meats and vegetables) in a local restaurant.
Afterwards we will take a short stroll to the nearby Caldeiras Vulcanicas to take a closer look at the steaming geothermal pools and geysers.
End the day with a visit to the Terra Nostra Park; where you can wander through the beautiful botanical garden with its vast collection of trees and plants and/or relax with a swim in the therapeutic waters of the thermal baths here.
The Pick-up will be made from, or close to, your place of accommodation.
The Pick up time during:
The high season months (April and May) is usually between 08:00 and 08:20 AM
The low season months (November to March) is usually between 08:30 and 08:50AM
Start tour at: 09am High Season and 9:30 Low Season.
Consider this for the areas of Ponta Delgada, Capelas, Caloura, Lagoa and Ribeira Grande (for others, please contact us).
When the activity is over, we will drop you off at your place of accommodation again.
- We will contact you in case we need to settle a different time / place.
- Bathing suit: To be worn from home.
- Hair elastic band : For comfort and safety reasons, we advise people with long hair to tie their hair back.
- Glasses: If you normally wear spectacles, we advise you to attach your glasses to a lanyard to prevent dropping and breaking them or losing them in the river. When abseiling and jumping in the water, we recommend putting your glasses inside your wetsuit for safekeeping. We do not recommend wearing contact lenses as they are easily lost when jumping in the water.
- Towel and dry clothes to change into after the tour; we recommend bringing a weatherproof jacket.
- Medication: Any personal medication that you may need for the duration of the tour (eg: inhaler for asthma, sugar packets for diabetics etc.)
- Knee/ankle Support : For anyone who suffers from certain area joint problems, we recommend wearing an elastic support for better stability and to prevent any further injury.
- Individual water bottle: We recommend drinking some water before and after the tour when canyoning and recommend that you carry your bottle of water with you during the cycling tour.
- Small backpack: To carry your personal belongings;
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and a hat.
- Accredited guides;
- All the Canyoning equipment (fully equipped harness, wetsuits, socks, helmet and boots);
- Photos / Videos.
- Cozido lunch with wine/beer/water, dessert and coffee.
- Entrance to the Terra Nostra Botanical Garden and Baths.
- Pick-up and Drop-off.
- This activity is not recommended for persons with back and/or neck problems. Please let us know of any previous injuries, medical conditions or health problems when booking.
- Children are under the responsibility of an adult.
You should contact us if you:
- Plan to book an excursion for a group with more than 8 people;
- Are interested in trying different activities / places, besides the ones we already offer (we can provide other options);
- Can’t find the ideal booking option or date to fit your plans (we can try to make it possible).
Our Cancellation Policy is described in our Terms and Conditions. It’s important to read them before making any decisions.